Pages

Tuesday 1 August 2017

Re-writing my book about the Spanish Civil War

Last week I decided to begin re-writing LA ULTIMA CRUZADA. I wrote the first edition back in the late 1980s, and produced a much revised second edition in 1993.

Since then I have continued to carry on my researches, and now that the second edition has been out of print for quite some time and is only available on the second-hand book market, it felt that the time was right for a revised third edition to be published.

I have approached the re-write with the intention of making the contents more thematic, and so far I have produced chapters that cover:
  • The politics of the Spanish Civil War
  • The main events of the Spanish Civil War
  • The Spanish Army in 1936
  • The Republican Army 1936 - 1939
  • The Nationalist Army 1936 - 1939
  • The Spanish Navy in 1936
  • The Republican Navy 1936 - 1939
  • The Nationalist Navy 1936 - 1939
  • Appendix 1: Warships of the Spanish Civil War
I am trying to include as many relevant illustrations as possible, although the quality of some of the photographs is not quite as good as I would have liked.

So far the process is taking less time than I expected, and with luck I should be finished by the end of the summer. At that point I will have to decide whether or not to publish it as a hardback and/or as a paperback.

8 comments:

  1. Could you include more on the Air War? That would be helpful. Plus, do you want any of your books back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trebian,

      I'll try to add more information about the locations Republican and Nationalist units were in at various times during the war, but I'm not sure what else I will be able to add.

      If I need to borrow any of my books back, I'll get back to you ... but I'm hoping that won't be necessary.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. I was one who bought the original back in the 90's as it was the only source for facts about the armed forces. Are you going to include new content in your revision?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acatcalledpiglit,

      I expect to add about 25% new content to the text as well as numerous illustrations that were not in the first two editions.

      I am trying to make the book more logical for readers to use, hence the thematic approach to the content and the use of appendices for the technical data.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to this. I too had a first edition, and a second still graces my shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim Gow,

      I hope you find the forthcoming edition as interesting.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Do you think you might include details regarding the equipment, troops, and/or advisors from Germany, Italy, and Russia? I realize the book is already lengthy, but information on the interlopers would be great!

    Best regards,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,

      To date I've certainly increased the amount of text devoted to the International Brigades and the CTV, and the book will include some information about the material support received by both sides.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.