Sunday, 2 July 2017

German Flakschiff: Adler

HDMS Peder Skram began life as a Herluf Trolle-class coastal defence ship in the Royal Danish Navy. She entered service in 1908, and spent most of her active career in the Baltic. When the Second World War broke out she was mobilised along with the rest of the Danish Armed Forces, and remained in service after the German invasion in 1940. She was scuttled by her crew on 29th August 1943 to prevent her being taken over by the Germans.

The scuttled HDMS Perer Skram.
When built, her characteristics were:
  • Displacement: 3,494 tons
  • Dimensions:
    • Length: 271’ 11”’ (82.87m)
    • Beam: 49’ 5” (15.06m)
    • Draught: 16’ 2” (4.93m)
  • Speed: 15.5 knots
  • Propulsion: 2 shafts powered by reciprocating engines
  • Armour: Belt: 8” (200mm); Turrets: 7” (180mm)
  • Armament: 2 × 9.4” (240mm) guns (2 x 1); 4 x 5.9” (150mm) guns (4 x 1); 10 x 1 pdr QF guns (10 x 1); 3 or 4 x 18” (450mm) Torpedo Tubes
  • Complement: 254
A silhouette of HDMS Peder Skram.
HDMS Peder Skram.
She was raised and taken in German service in 1943, renamed Adler, and converted into a floating anti-aircraft battery. When converted into a flakschiff, Adler carried:
  • 6 x 4.1” (10.5cm) SK C/32 gun (6 x 1)
  • 4 x 40mm Bofors guns (4 x 1)
  • 16 x 20mm guns (4 x 4)
A silhouette of KMS Adler.
After the war she was returned to the Royal Danish Navy and scrapped in 1949.

No comments:

Post a Comment