Pages

Thursday 22 December 2016

Miniature Wargames Issue 405

CAVEAT: This is NOT a proper review as I have had very little time to do much more than to skim through this particular magazine, but with Christmas looming I thought that my regular blog readers might like to know what is in this issue.

The January issue of MINIATURE WARGAMES magazine was delivered yesterday afternoon, and I have yet to read it. That said, there do seem to be several articles that I am looking forward to reading over the forthcoming Christmas holiday.


The articles included in this issue are:
  • Welcome (i.e. the editorial) by John Treadaway
  • Forward observer
  • Send three and fourpence: Playing the Mechanic Turk by Conrad Kinch
  • Wargaming my way: by Andy Copestake
  • Puissant Pike: Rules for small English Civil Wars battles by Arthur Harman
  • Grid Based Wargaming: Part 2 by David Burden
  • Darker Horizons
    • Fantasy Facts
    • Cthulhu Calls You to West London: by John Treadaway
    • Playing Achtung! Cthulhu Skirmish: by John Treadaway
    • Operation Devil's Dive: A special scenario for Achtung! Cthulhu by Chris Birch
    • Frostgrave: Planar Storm scenario by Joe McCullough
    • Dragonmeet 2016 by John Treadaway
  • Big Saga, Small Figures by Daniel Johnson
  • Recce
  • Warfare 2016: All out Warfare in Olde Englande by John Treadaway
  • Going Retro: The continuing tales of a wargames widow by Diane Sutherland
  • Club Spotlight: Crawley Wargames Club by Duncan Gosling
  • Club Directory
Two things that did strike me as I thumbed through this issue:
  1. There seems to be a lot of stuff written by the editor, John Treadaway. This does concern me, as I know from my own experience that having to write a major part of the content yourself can put a lot of strain on an editor.
  2. The quality of the paper the magazine is printed on seems to vary. The cover and outer pages feel as if they have been printed on thicker paper than the rest of the publication ... which seems to be rather an odd thing to do.

6 comments:

  1. If you also count it up, there seem to be more non-regular-column articles in the Darker Horizons section than the main mag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike Whitaker,

      That is something that I had not noticed when I had my quick skim through the magazine, but now that you mention it, that does appear to be the case.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. I've tried to keep an open mind, but I don't care for the direction it seems to be heading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brent,

      I've just renewed my subscription for another three months in the hope that things will stabilise, and that the magazine doesn't become too sci-if/fantasy orientated.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      I agree; even this issue seemed to be better than its competitors managed ... but I do feel that it might just have wandered off course somewhat under its new editor.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.