Pages

Thursday 20 November 2014

My latest book acquisition

Some time ago – and well before I took part in a re-fight of the Battle of Warsaw last May – pre-ordered a copy of ARMIES OF THE RUSSO-POLISH WAR 1919-21. The book was published very recently, and my copy arrived in the post this afternoon.


The book was been written by Dr Nigel Thomas and illustrated by Adam Hook, and it is No.497 in Osprey's Men-at-Arms series (ISBN 978 1 4728 0106 7). As one has come to expect from titles in this series, it sets the war in context, it describes the military organisations of the states involved in the fighting, it gives a brief history of the war, and it describes the uniforms worn by the forces involved in the fighting. It also contains eight pages of colour plates that illustrate the uniforms that were worn during the war.

All-in-all this looks like being a very useful addition to my bookshelves.

6 comments:

  1. Ross Mac,

    Now that I have had a chance to begin reading it and can make a serious judgement about its contents, I now know that this book is going to be a very useful addition to my book collection.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Bob. Will we be seeing some portable wargame Russo-Polish action?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Conrad Kinch,

    That is a distinct possibility, once I have finished reading the book and re-writing the rules.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought this on Kindle. A quick flick through and it does look very useful indeed. It is a conflict that has always interested me, ever since I read Fuller's account of it in his Decisive Battles of the Western World. His rather biased description of Tukhachevskii in particular ld to a fascination with that character.
    I'd be an acolyte for any revised portable wargame rules.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natholeon,

    It was Fuller's account of the battle that first roused my interest in the Russo-Polish War as well.

    I have just finished the first draft of the new version of the PORTABLE WARGAME, and I hope to play-test them very soon.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.