Pages

Saturday 27 September 2014

I have been to ... The Milton Hundred Wargames Club Open Day

Besides organising the BROADSIDE wargames show in Sittingbourne, Kent, each year, the Milton Hundred Wargames Club has an annual open day that is held in their normal weekly club meeting venue, Iwade Village Hall, Ferry Street, Iwade, Kent.

I visited this club open day last year, and was struck by the very friendly reception I received. When Alan Abbey (an ex-pupil of mine and one of the driving forces behind the club) reminded me that the Open Day was today, I made sure that I made time to get there.

The venue is a typical small, late 1950s, single-storey, brick-built community hall.


There were three wargames taking place when I arrived.


There was also a table display of different sizes and types of figures as well as a trader's stand that was being run by a locally-based online retailer.


The three battles that were taking place were:

A Napoleonic battle (fought using BLACK POWDER rules)




An Ancients battle between the Greeks and the Persians (fought using HAIL CEASAR! rules)




An eleventh century battle between Normans and Anglo-Saxons (fought using SAGA rules)



(This battle was staged by the Maidstone Wargames Society.)

I have not used any of these rules before, but the players all took time to explain the basics of each set to me. This was very encouraging, and had I just walked in off the street, I would have left much better informed about the hobby ... and possibly a new recruit to it as well.

This Open Day was an excellent example of the sort of event that clubs can put on, and it was a great pity that it was not better attended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.