Pages

Wednesday 24 August 2011

And the name is ... now something completely different!

Just when I thought that the matter was settled, it was pointed out to me that there is a commercial wargame on sale that already uses (and has trademarked) the name BATTLE GRID ... so I cannot use it.

Rather than go through the process of trying to find another new title, I decided to add the letter 's' to the word grid so that the title for my rules was BATTLE GRIDS. This made sense in the context that I want to develop the basic rules so that they can be used with hexes as well as squares. But then I discovered that this is a trademarked name for a computer game ... so I cannot use that instead.

So what to do? For the moment I intend to call the rules PORTABLE WARGAME 2. This recognises that they would not have evolved in the way they have without the work I had done on the original PORTABLE WARGAME rules.

Not the snappiest of titles, but it will do for the time being.

11 comments:

  1. or if the 1st Portable Wargame isn't quite dead yet, this could be Portable Wargame Too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you could call PW2 Mestizo - a reference to its mixed parentage and a contemporary Spanish term. Bernardo O'Higgins - liberator of Peru - was a mestizo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ross Mac,

    The first version of the PORTABLE WARGAME rules is not dead ... but I suspect that they will conjoin with the current PW2 rules at some point soon.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arthur1815,

    Not a bad idea ... but I will leave the title as PW2 for the moment.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about some word wrangling and call them; "Battle by Grids" ?

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a pity.

    Can only think of "Squared Off", slightly pugilistic.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brigadier Dundas (Don) and Arthur,

    Thanks for your suggestions, but I am going to stick with PW2 for the time being.

    With a bit of luck I should be able to play-test the rules this weekend (other commitments permitting!).

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bob

    Partly ispired by your efforts and partly by getting there myself I have started putting together a grid based set of rules for napoleonic grand tactical gaming. I have put the work in progress on my blog for all to see:

    http://paintingshed.blogspot.com/

    It is somewhat different to tPW and tPW2 but shares some of the philosophy.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and on the name front why not combine GRID and BATTLE to produce "GRIDDLE" :-)

    At the very least, I doubt it is already copyrighted as a set of wargame rules...

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steve,

    I was very interested to see the progress you have made with your rules, especially the way that you have approached designing a set of rules that meet the same requirements as mine.

    I will watch your continued progress with interest.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve,

    'Griddle' is an interesting suggestion, especially as it combines elements of both 'grid' and 'battle' in one word.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.