Pages

Sunday 14 March 2010

A new imagi-nation to go with Laurania: Progress made on the map

Since yesterday I have made quite a lot of progress with the map of the imagi-nation that will border Laurania.

I have added the rivers, contours, roads, railways, and towns to the map, and all I need to do now is to name the various locations and geographic features. Before doing that, however, I need to decide on the type of language the people of this still unnamed country will speak as this will determine the naming conventions I will use.

When I did this for Laurania I made the decision to base the language spoken (and therefore most of the place names) on the Latinate languages spoken in Italy, Spain, and Romania.

I think that this new country’s language will share many words in common with the language of Laurania, but probably with some Germanic influences in the way words are pronounced. This would reflect the fact I envisage that this country had – at some time in the past – formed part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.