Pages

Sunday 10 January 2010

Single figure bases vs. Multi-figure bases

When I raised this topic yesterday I had hoped that it would excite some comments ... and it did!

Reading through the comments that have been made, it is obvious that this is a conundrum that lots of other wargamers have struggled to solve. I have yet to make a final decision as to what to do but I am definitely leaning towards the use of sabot figure bases. That said, Ross Mac’s suggestion that ‘… if you are using a grid (which is something that is very likely) and each grid can only hold 1 "unit" (again, something that I usually stipulate in my rules), does it matter if the unit is on a base or not?’. This concept has been used by Richard Borg in MEMOIR '44 and BATTLE CRY, and has in turn been very successfully adapted by Rudi Geudens in his wargames rules (as featured on his THE ANTWERP FUSILIERS website).

If I do make the change it will mean that I will have to rebase a lot of my existing collection, but once done it will allow me far more flexibility. In the end, having enough time to do the rebasing rather than having the inclination to do it is likely to be the final decider.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    I like your spirit!

    "In the end, having enough time to do the rebasing rather than having the inclination to do it is likely to be the final decider."

    Usually the time is available, but the motivation is lacking.

    Go for it. You will not regret it.

    And, yes, that was easy for me to say.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,

    I have already managed to 'waste' most of today doing other things rather than even thinking about rebasing my figures!

    The first thing I must do is base up the figures I have got that are not yet based (Yes, such things do exist in my collection!). After that I can begin thinking about re-basing the rest of my collection.

    Now where did I put that large box of steel fender washers?

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.