Pages

Saturday 14 November 2009

The Three-Inch Gridded Battlefield

Having had a spare hour this afternoon I sat down and drew a 3-inch grid onto my 90cms x 90cms piece of green felt. I then cut out some 7.5cms x 7.5cms pieces of grey felt for the built-up areas and some 2.5cm wide strips of tan felt for roads.

Now that I had all the bits that I needed I could not resist the opportunity to see what 'Morschauserland' (or the 3-inch square gridded battlefield to give it its proper name) would look like. The results are below:

The buildings are from the 'Wooden Village' I purchased last week, and they really look quite good on the gridded terrain. The trees are individually mounted 'bottle brush' trees from various manufacturers, and they are based on large metal washers.

8 comments:

  1. Looks pretty good so far - what did you use for the markings? A trusty black permanent marker? I really like the buildings by the way and am planning on acquiring some pretty soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ogrefencer,

    I used a good old indelible dark green marker pen as the results are a little less stark than black.

    Hopefully I should be able to start (and finish) the play-test tomorrow.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking great - I can't wait to see figures upon this wonderful land.
    best wishes
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tradgardmastare,

    I hope that you won't be too disappointed with the figures. I will probably be using figures that are based up for MEGABLITZ (of which I have quite a few) although I should really use original AIRFIX or small-sized ARMY MEN.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. The buildings certainly have the feel of the original Morschauser pics - they'd be great for SYW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mad Carew,

    In fact they are great for almost any European setting from the 18th to the mid-20th centuries ... and as you will see from an early blog entry, they are relatively cheap.

    Similar buildings could be made from pine and/or balsa, but to save time (and effort) these are well up to the task.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Bob,

    Looking forward to some photos of the coming battle. Strange how wonderful relatively plain terrain and scenery can look, isn't it?

    Best Regards,

    Stokes Schwartz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stokes Schwartz,

    Your comment must have passed my latest blog entry in the ether!

    As you will see, the first play-test is done ... and I have tried to use lots of photos as well.

    What is interesting to me about the fairly minimal scenary that I have used is that looks like a 3D map rather than a model railway layout. The latter seems to be the trend these days if what I see at wargames shows is anything to go by.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.