Pages

Sunday 3 May 2009

Operational-level Wargame Design 3: Why models and figures and not counters?

I suppose the fact that I have already chosen to use Hexon II hexed terrain makes the choice of models and figures rather than counters somewhat inevitable, but there are good reasons why I prefer the former to the latter. These are:
  • I prefer the aesthetic appeal of models and figures. I happen to think that part of the enjoyment – fun if you will – of wargaming is the ‘look’. I do not subscribe to the notion of a ‘moving diorama’ often seen at wargames show (and often not doing much moving either!) but I do like to see painted models and figures on nice terrain.
  • I find it easier to take in the whole ‘picture’ of what is going on if I use models and figures rather than counters. I can recognise which unit is which if I use models and figures to represent them, whereas I have to examine each counter quite closely to determine one for another. At my age this is quite an important consideration!
  • I have an emotional attachment to 1:87th, 1:76th, and 1:72nd scale models and 20mm scale figures. My first proper wargames figures and models were made by AIRFIX and ROCO, and using the modern equivalents helps me to recapture just a little of my youth – and it works better than any rejuvenating cream or hair ‘colourizer’ because the good feeling it engenders lasts a long time!

The first ROCO MINITANKS that I bought were five Tiger IIs, one of which had the Porsche turret. I bought them in Woolworths(!) in Southend-on-Sea.
Counters have their place in wargaming – and I am thinking of using them in my game design to mark the possible positions of unreconnoitred units – and it would have been very easy to make them. For example, Tom Mouat’s MapSymbs website has all sorts of useful fonts that allow you to make your own very professional-looking counters.

In addition, they are very cheap and quick to make as well as taking up a lot less storage space. Counters do not, however, ‘tick my boxes’, and so I will be using models and figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.