Pages

Sunday 19 April 2009

Catching up

Since I got back yesterday I seem to have spent a lot of time catching up with all the correspondence – both written and electronic – that was waiting for me. Most important was the end of year employee returns that have to be made to HM Revenue & Customs. My accountant does most of the work for me, but I still have to check everything because it is my neck on the line if any of the data is incorrect.

I also had to process several bookings for COW (the annual Conference of Wargamers that is run by Wargame Developments), and this brought the number of definite bookings up to 32. As the maximum number that can attend is 54, this is a very healthy situation to be in with nearly two months to go.

I have also been trying to catch up with the blogs that I follow. In particular I wanted to see how Paul Leniston’s Napoleonic Wargaming blog was progressing, and I was not disappointed. This looks like it could easily become compulsive reading for me, especially since he has sent me a copy of his draft rules. I still intend to sort out my collection of 25/28mm Napoleonic figures so that I can wargame with them, and Paul’s approach to wargaming the era ticks a lot of boxes for me.

On top of all of this, my wife and I have had to do the inevitable food shopping to refill the larder for the next week. Now I like to eat – you don’t get to be my size by starving – but I hate shopping in supermarkets. I find the lighting oppressive, the noise (especially screaming children) unpleasant, and the need to stand in a long queue at the checkout exceedingly boring. I long for the days when I could go into a proper butcher’s shop to buy meat, an baker’s for freshly cooked crusty bread, and a grocer’s where the shop assistants did exactly that … assist you with your purchases. Such shops do still exist, but until I retire I just do not have the time to go to them, so until then I will have to grit my teeth and bear it.

Rant over for the day … I might just have time to read the stuff Paul has sent me before my wife finds me yet another chore to do …

2 comments:

  1. Bob,

    I just got back from the weekly shopping expedition..."I feel your pain!"

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,

    My wife often tries to 'bribe' me with the promise that if we go shopping in Bluewater, I can visit Modelzone, Waterstone, and Games Workshop 'for a look round'.

    It usually works!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.